Exploring, Planning and Implementing the Victorian Technologies Curriculum
Presented by: John Pearce
Event Information: 6 PD Hours
Please Note: This is Day One of a two day program. For Details on Day 2 Click HERE
In 2017 all Victorian Government and Catholic Schools will be required to implement the new Victorian Technologies Curriculum, (Independent Schools can elect to use the Victorian Curriculum or an equivalent such as the Australian Curriculum or IB). The curriculum covers a range of new and emerging content as well as sharing links with a number of other curriculum areas most notably Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths or STEAM. It also draws heavily on ways of thinking about design, coding and making as embodied in the Maker Movement.
This two day program will involve a mix of hands-on experiences as well as an exploration of resources which can be used to support the curriculum.
Day One Exploring the Victorian Technologies Curriculum
Included will be:
• a rationale for the introduction of the curriculum
• a look at the principles underpinning the curriculum.
• an in-depth look at the two subject areas included in the curriculum i.e. Digital Technologies and Design and Technologies
• a hands-on exploration of teaching approaches which enhance delivery of this curriculum in-cluding experiences with Design Thinking, Computational
Thinking and Systems Thinking
Day Two Resourcing and Beginning Planning for the Implementation of the Victorian Technologies Curriculum including, in particular, coding
Included will be:
• a chance to explore a range of games, apps and third party options including robots and con-trol technologies, which can be used by students within the curriculum
• looking at a range of support options teachers can use to implement the curriculum
• a look at how links can be made between the Victorian Technologies Curriculum and other cur-riculum areas including STEAM subjects and Makerspaces
• time and support to assist participants to develop a classroom based unit focussed on the Vic-torian Technologies Curriculum including in particular coding
To book for Day 2 on May 30th, 2017 please click HERE
|Monday May 29th, 2017|
|9.30am - 3.30pm (Reg. from 8.30am)|
This two-day training program is for teachers in Primary and Lower Secondary schools (Prep to Yr8)
About the Presenter
Having spent more than thirty years teaching John Pearce now runs his own education consultancy. For the past few years he has tutored pre-service education students at Deakin University.
Throughout his teaching career John has had an ongoing interest in the use of ICT across the curriculum. This interest was recognized with a number of local and national awards including most recently the inaugural DLTV Leader of the Year.
John has been a regular presenter at local, national and international conferences including a number of online sessions. His web based resources attract readers from all over the globe.