Save The Date
Developing assessment tasks in Languages
Assessment (both formative and summative) is crucial any Languages programme and has been described by Dylan Wiliam as “the bridge between teaching and learning”. Not only does it generate information for students about their learning, but it also provides information to teachers about whether their learning objectives have been achieved.
This workshop will address issues such as:
- Test design and validity
- Types of assessment tasks
- Ways to assess the 5 macro-skills of Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking and Viewing
- Discrete skill and multi-skill assessments
- When to assess
- Ways for students to show their understanding, other than through traditional, written tests
- Providing students with rich and meaningful feedback
This is a practical workshop and participants will work with Rowena to develop activities that they can use with their classes immediately. Although the examples given in this workshop will come from French, the ideas presented are general in nature and can be applied in most language classrooms, so teachers of all languages are encouraged to attend.