Spelling Made Easier
The Australian Curriculum dictates that teachers explicitly teach phonic knowledge and spelling skills up to Year 10 but many teachers don’t find that an easy task. What is the most effective way in which to teach spelling? How do you cater for a wide range of abilities? What words should you teach? How many rules should you teach? How do you teach the ‘rule-breakers’? What can you do to help the student whose written work is really hard to decipher? How can you get all of your students interested in words and spelling?
This very practical, interactive seminar aims to make spelling easier for teachers and students by investigating:
- the spelling process and the causes of spelling difficulties
- the assessment of spelling
- the development of phonemic awareness
- the mapping of letters to sounds
- the rules you should know
- word study
- strategies for catering for a variety of spelling abilities
- multisensory activities and games
Participants will be involved in lots of activities and leave the seminar with new understanding, strategies and resources.