Save The Date
No applications for this program will be accepted after all vacancies have been filled. Unsuccessful applicants will have their monies refunded in full. Cancellation prior to two weeks before the program date (cut-off date) will incur a 15% service charge per applicant. This program will be payable in full for cancellations made on or after the cut-off date or for failure to attend the program. All cancellations must be in writing and emailed to us. In the event of insufficient applications this program will not proceed and registration monies be fully refunded. In the event of this program being cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances registration monies only will be refunded as Critical Agendas will not accept liability for the payment of any other associated costs. Critical Agendas reserves the right to vary the advertised programs prior to commencement.
Unlocking Autism in the Mainstream Classroom
People with Autism do not suffer from Autism they suffer from people who do not understand autism!
This interesting and highly practical workshop is designed for teachers and teacher assistants who work with autistic students and who would like to help with unlocking the puzzling aspects of motivating students who do not respond in a “normal way”.
This workshop focuses on ten aspects of Autism and practical ways to deal with these characteristics and help Autistic Students thrive.
- What Autism is and is not.
- How not to teach social skills
- How understanding deep defense mode changes a teachers perspective. Are they defiant or overwhelmed?
- What it feels like to be scared, dysregulated and shut down.
- How to help a student get out of defense mode using a different approach
- Defrosting the freeze loop: why are they stuck and shutdown?
- How to motivate Autistic students without manipulation
- Why rewards & punishment don’t work for people with Autism
- The trust building process: 4 steps to building trust
- Exploring the science of expectation